What is Gem Village?
Our Vision for the Gem Village is a fully accessible community for our Gems to grow and thrive. With our Gems many medical needs we feel that having a medical center is a top priority in order for our Gems to heal physically. We envision a clinic that will first off meet the needs of our growing ministry and children.
Secondly, it will meet the medical needs of our staff families.
thirdly it will reach out to our community by offering medical care for the families of children with special needs. Malnutrition is a huge need in Uganda as when children with special needs are considered a curse that means they are hidden away from society and often neglected and starved. The nutrition side of the clinic will, in turn, educate and train families of children with special needs.
Another big part of the clinic will be offering antenatal care as well as maternity care. A big reason children are born with special needs is because of unsafe deliveries. We endeavor to empower and educate the woman and help more families have safe deliveries.
The therapy department is designed to help our children reach their full potential. Its a place where little Gems will learn to sit on their own, begin to walk and even learn to feed and talk! We are so excited to have a space dedicated to healing for our Gems!
Gem Village Concepts
Over this past three years we have partnered with EMI to design our new land and buildings in the most efficient, and safe way possible. They’ve now completed the plans for the buildings, infrastructure, blueprints, plumbing and everything else that comes with it.
Phase 1 of the Gem Village is to build three homes for our children so we can move out of the city and out to our land. Here are some of the images that EMI has drawn up for us!
Gem Village Becoming a Reality
Since groundbreaking in in July 2019, we’ve made incredible progress at Gem Village. The images below show one of the first 3 homes at The Gem Village and a look inside!
- December of 2016 we set out to raise money to buy land to build a future home.
- August of 2017 we were able to purchase 88 acres in rural Uganda
- December of 2017 we set out with a goal: to raise $300,000 to build our first 3 homes at The Gem Village.
- January 2018, just 30 days later we had raised nearly $400,000 thanks to generous donors like you!
- October 2018 we officially broke ground at The Gem Village, and are expecting the land-moving equipment to arrive soon to start sitework for the three homes.
- December of 2018 we had a goal: to raise $350,000 to build a medical clinic for our home and the surrounding villages. You can learn more about that here
- July 2019: we broke ground and began construction on the first three homes of the Gem Village!
- December 2019: Construction is wrapping up at The Gem Village and we raise the money to buy the final items needed for us to move in when construction is finished!
- May 2020: we plan to begin moving our operations over to The Gem Village. This will take time but we can’t wait until everyone is out there!